Position Title: Senior Safeguarding Manager
Activation Date: 18 October, 2021 Announced Date: 18 October, 2021 Expire Date: 31 October, 2021
About Save the Children:
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCI - Afghanistan
Save the Children has been working in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers
“Save the Children strongly encourages applications from women. Minimum country requirements for potential female applicants will be followed”
The overall aim of the Safeguarding Senior Manager will support the mainstreaming and strengthening of SC’s safeguarding ( Child safeguarding, Bullying Harassment) and support safe programming activities in Afghanistan, the postholder will support the overall development, implementation and monitoring of Safeguarding policies and practices, and working with HR-Admin director SMT and provincial offices closely to ensure our Safeguarding approach responds to the dynamic and evolving interventions developed across the organisation. He/she will also coordinate/implement proper training on CSG/ Global anti-harassment and bullying Policies as well as SCI’s code of conduct., Safer Programming, reporting/response.
The safeguarding Sr. manager will oversee the safeguarding policy and quality standards implementation. S/he will be responsible to set up safeguarding systems across the Afghanistan SCI officers to ensure that quality safeguarding practices are exercised and delivered across all sectors.
The role holder will work under the guidance of the HR and Administration Director and in close collaboration with the safeguarding officers and focal points located across the country.
The role holder will lead on all investigations and reporting on CSG and Bullying -Harassment cases across the SCI officer in Afghanistan.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
- Identify potential risks to children in all the project activities including workshops and events, plan mitigating measures and assign staff to be responsible for the implementation.
- Develop and lead on implementation of country safeguarding plan.
- Work with staff to strengthen the implementation of safeguarding policies and procedures, and build relevant SCI and partner staff skills in managing and investigation of safeguarding concerns.
- Ensure that a safeguarding approach is mainstreamed through programme design, monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure that the tools and knowledge is made available to relevant staff in to the languages that they understand.
- Coach and support safeguarding officers and focal points in order to improve safeguarding practices.
- Work with the HR and Administration Director to develop, implement and regularly review a Safeguarding action plan.
- Undertake clear, strong advocacy in line with the Child Safeguarding Policy at the country level.
- Support staff to take proactive steps to ensure that all programming activity identifies the potential risks and works to eliminate and mitigate those risks.
- Coach and support Safeguarding Focal Points in order to improve Safeguarding practices.
- Deliver mandatory and refresher training workshops to enable staff including community based with key responsibilities to undertake their roles and mainstream safeguarding functions.
- Review and strengthen Child Safeguarding systems within the country office, planning and delivering training programs accordingly.
- Serve as safeguarding lead for CO.
- Build the capacity of the Safeguarding officers and Focal points to be deliver CSG trainings, manage & undertake investigations.
- Travel to the provincial offices, to follow up on safeguarding related concerns.
- Strengthen the capacity of Focal points in delivering safeguarding Inductions.
- Apply critical analysis to ensure that we live up to our commitment to making Save the Children safe for children and adult by ensuring child safeguarding, bullying harassment concerns are reported effectively in line with the policy.
- Ensure that concerns are followed up safely, effectively and efficiently and to the required standards.
- Ensure that the tools and knowledge is made available to managers and that they know how to access support and guidance.
- Role model high levels of professional safeguarding behaviour and maintain the standards required by the Safeguarding Policies and Code of Conduct.
- Develop a plan to mainstream child safeguarding standards with Save the Children partner organisations, in coordination with the Partnerships Manager.
- Work closely with partner organisations to develop and implement safeguarding procedures.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Bachelor’s degree in Social science or any other related field.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- 6 (Six) years of experience in the area of child safeguarding with international organizations.
- Experience of managing as well as undertaking complex safeguarding investigations and or disciplinary investigations.
- Multi-disciplinary experience of working successfully with senior managers to deliver major operational change with a track record of delivering results to high standards.
- Experience of a lead role in national advocacy or policy work either in the field of Safeguarding or Human Resource to ensure policy implementation.
- Experience of building personal internal and external networks.
- Experience of planning and undertaking training programmes/workshops in safeguarding at a range of levels (e.g. field workers, managers, senior managers and decision makers).
- Strong verbal communication and report writing skills in English and Dari/Pashto languages.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Demonstrable commitment to Children’s Rights.
- Self-sufficient, proactive self-motivating work styles.
- Ability to provide long distance support and establish supportive relationships and networks.
- Ability to deliver results against demanding timetables and in the face of competing demands.
- Ability to travel and work within challenging environments.
- Awareness of own strengths and weaknesses and evidence of commitment to self-managed personal development.
- Evidence of professional expertise, personal development and learning in the field of child care
- Experience of working within hostile and challenging environments.
- Experience of work related travel in challenging environments.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling in the online application form. In addition to the online application form, they can also attach their CV and cover letter in the online system. Please note that only the applications received through the online portal will be considered for this position.
Applicants can login to the online application system by copying and pasting the following link intro their web browser. Returning users will need to enter their username and password, first time users will need to create a user account.
It is recommended that you save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.