Position Title: Senior Health and Nutrition Officer
Activation Date: 18 October, 2021 Announced Date: 18 October, 2021 Expire Date: 31 October, 2021
About Save the Children:
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCI - Afghanistan
Save the Children has been working in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers
“Save the Children strongly encourages applications from women. Minimum country requirements for potential female applicants will be followed”
ROLE PURPOSE: The Senior Health and Nutrition Project Officer is responsible for the high-quality management of an integrated health, nutrition, food security and MHPSS project. S/he will be responsible for the quality and effective implementation of the project interventions by means of weekly and monthly budget and indicator tracking; collation of incoming data from field activities; coordination with provincial government stakeholders and existing coordination mechanises; regulating and monitoring the progress of the field staff; writing and editing project reports (monthly, quarterly, and final); and preparing routine email correspondence for this project. In addition, the post holder will support the capacity building of project staff at provincial level. A proven leader of a unit, s/he will also ensure that all unit staff have objectives, performance feedback and weekly / monthly workplans to follow.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Programme Implementation and Support
- Support the project field staff in the preparation, review, and periodic revision of their detailed implementation plans (DIPs) and management.
- Monitor the implementation progress of the project by means of provincial field visits (security permitting) and periodic meetings with local stakeholders.
- Work with the provincial based project team for the implementation of monthly targets; weekly work plans; database management; regular reviews of target indicators; and the processing of status updates from field staff.
- Carry out weekly and monthly budget tracking, monitoring DIP and MEAL plan identify potential variances of expenses vs. the budget allocation; and work on appropriate adjustments.
- Prepare and monitor the detailed procurement plan, so that project material is purchased on time and within budget.
- Work closely with the Senior Health and Nutrition Programme Manager to implement the project objectives within the budget.
- Ensure all training and related materials are prepared and that the staff orientated on time in province.
- Ensure that the project team have objectives and regular performance reviews with constructive feedback.
- On an ongoing basis, support and coach project staff to strengthen capacities.
- Set weekly and monthly targets for the team.
- Participate in meetings with key stakeholders’ meetings.
- Carry out field-based needs assessments and gap analyses where appropriate.
- Ensure project management approaches following SCI standards and ethical principles (including the humanitarian principles).
- Ensure that timely and accurate reports are provided to the Sr. Health & Nutrition Programme Manager.
- Support the day to day implementation of mobile health and nutrition projects.
- Collaborate with the Health and Nutrition Technical Adviser to ensure that quality benchmark trainings are held, understood and achieved.
Reporting and Documentation
- Prepare and edit project reports –– monthly, quarterly, and final.
- Collate incoming data from field activities.
- Ensure that field-level workplans are reported against every two weeks.
Coordination and Representation
- Meet regularly with the field staff and community leaders for maximum coordination, information sharing, and problem solving.
- Liaise with the MEAL Department for outcome-level analyses (quantitative and qualitative) of the project’s progress, beneficiary impact, and challenges from the field.
- Ensure that the views of community staff are factored into programme implementation throughout the life cycle, and to bring improvements both in terms of efficiency and quality.
- Monitoring the project interventions on regular basis and find out the gaps, sharing the gaps with the staff and make a proper action plan.
- Ensure that project is on track in sense of indicators and immediate outcomes.
- Share the findings in the forms of monitoring reports.
- Support the project staff so that they comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures regarding child protection and child safeguarding, for the maximum protection of children.
- Ensure materials related to Child Safeguarding and reporting in all sites in a way that is accessible to people irrespective of age and literacy.
- Report Child Safeguarding and/or PSEA cases when encountered.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS: MD(graduated form recognize medical faculty)
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- At least four years’ experience of NGO implementation experience in management of relevant (Health and nutrition) function / field.
- Strong understanding of MoPH standards and guidelines.
- Intermediate English communication skills, both verbal and written
- Fluency both verbal and written in Dari and Pashtu and English.
- Be able to annualize information, evaluate options, and think and plan in an effective, and strategic manner.
- Substantial experience of line management, effective team building' and capacity development.
- Proven record of successful team leadership, management of implementing teams and delivering
- Programme objectives in complex, fragile and challenging environments, in particular with regards to staff safety and security management.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication' and presentation skills.
- Commitment to, and understanding of, Save the Children's Principles and values' including child rights and child protection
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health and Safety
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional job duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling in the online application form. In addition to the online application form, they can also attach their CV and cover letter in the online system. Please note that only the applications received through the online portal will be considered for this position.
Applicants can login to the online application system by copying and pasting the following link intro their web browser. Returning users will need to enter their username and password, first time users will need to create a user account.
It is recommended that you save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.